Thursday, November 18, 2010

Spiritual Blessings, Part I


Reading through Ephesians the overall theme I am just captivated with is Paul's two word statement "in Christ." This two word statement is the bedrock of this Epistle. The blessings that overflow in this letter are not found independently, but they are found in Jesus Christ. He is the fount from which blessings flow, He is the giver and the gift. The first spiritual blessing found in Jesus Christ is:

Sovereign Election by God unto salvation

Ephesians 1: 4-6 "...he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved."

John 6:3 "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out."

John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."

John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

Acts10:47-48 " For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,

“‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”

And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed."

Let this first promise comfort your sin sick heart. You didn't save yourself. You cannot save yourself, but God in His infinite mercy HAS saved you. Not due to anything you have done, haven't done, tried to do, or want to do. Not because He looked forward through the corridors of time and saw that you would have faith in Him. He saved you out of pure grace. You don't deserve, I do not deserve it, but He did it; in love.

This promise, it's our promise, in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment